Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Lobuche

 Our fearless trekking group!

From Dan's Facebook: 
"Hiked today to the Village of Lobuche at 16,200 feet. The temperature has dropped significantly and it definitely feels like we are high in the mountains!"


This is a cool photo that shows their surroundings!  This is one thing that Dave really noticed when he came back last year, how small our mountains seemed in comparison to where he had been.  He said words just could not describe the majestic mountains of the Himalaya.

Dave and Rich enjoying the beauty!

  
From Left: Rich Bliss, Fabian, Tom and Dave.  

Seven degrees of mountain climbing:

I met Rich's wife Tania several years ago and we started comparing stories of our adventurous husbands.  I knew they would be fast friends and once we introduced them, they were soon planning their first climb together.   Rich was scheduled to go to the top this year with these guys, but due to some unforeseen circumstances he had to postpone that expedition. Luckily, he was still able to come to the base camp trek.  Tania is actually the one that talked me off the ledge when Dave first told me he wanted to do Everest.  Such great people!  Rich is an all around stand up guy and a super good story teller- hopefully he's sitting in the middle of those 20 foot long tea house banquet tables.

When Rich and Dave did Vinson in 2016 they were put in a group with Fabian.  After spending a few weeks freezing and waiting out some crazy weather together, they all hit it off swimmingly.  Dave came home telling me about Fabian, recalling stories they had shared (in his best Australian accent :)   Fab is going for his 7th summit as well and Dave says if anyone can get it- it's this amazing Aussie.  Fab and his darling girlfriend Jodie actually came to visit Utah and had dinner with the Bliss' and the Snow's.  My kids (ok me too) were hanging on every word they said.  He really is such a cool and impressive guy, I'm so glad he was able to go with this group!

Of course you all know Tom, him and Dave have been besties since high school.  He has been with Dave on all but one of these climbs and is always my safety net.  I know if Tom is there, Dave will be ok.  He's not only a skilled climber but such a positive and calming influence on Dave.  They have the same kind of weird humor, watch out for each other and are more like soulmates than friends:) We love you Tommy!

Anyway, that's my sappy recap of the players in this game.  Not a lot of material coming out of Nepal at this point.  Tomorrow, the group will head to Gorak Shep for their last stop before base camp!  From what I hear, overall everyone is doing well and staying pretty healthy so far!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tiffany for the update nice to be able to see photos and keep track of my adventures Son Fabian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates! I haven't heard from Jared today so I'm glad to hear that all is well. Jared's not climbing Everest, but he's planning to do Lobuche with Dave and Tom. I wish them luck!

    ReplyDelete